The SSRG Annual Workshop has been a key event each Spring for many years. Details of the forthcoming annual workshop are given below, and here are links to recent annual events with presentations : 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005
SSRG Annual Workshop 2013
Fair Welfare Services or Farewell to Services?
An assessment of the funding, fitness and future of social care and related services
Monday 11th March 2013
The Techno Centre, University of Coventry
Local Authorities and their partners are facing unprecedented budgetary pressures that are having a profound impact on social care and related services.
This event will bring together leading thinkers from academia, journalism and local authority settings to discuss:
- the causes and consequences of the austerity programme and its impact on services
- what can be done to protect users of soial care services, unpaid carers and services from the consequences of austerity, and
- share areas of existing good practice
Further information will be postes to this website in due course!
SSRG 40th Anniversary Annual Workshop 2012
Looking back to the future – the continuing challenges facing social care and social work
Monday 19th March 2012
BVSC – The Centre for Voluntary Action, Birmingham.
09.00: Registration and coffee
09.50: Welcome Martin Stevens Chair SSRG
10.00: Plenary: David Behan, Director General of Social Care, DH
10.30: Concurrent Plenary Sessions
- (a) Sector- led Improvement and the role of regulation. Alan Rosenbach, CQC; Ray Jones, Kingston University; Becca Spavin, DH; Dave Burnham, NHS North West
- (b) Social Care for vulnerable children – the role of Ofsted. Adam King, Ofsted; John Pearce,Trafford MBC
11.45: Concurrent Group Sessions
- (a) The Role of Research and Evaluation in informing policy and practice: Does it happen? Jane Tunstill, Visiting Professor SCWRU; Carol Lupton, DH; Martin Knapp, NIHR School for Social Care Research
- (b) The future of social care and social work. Peter Scourfield, Anglia Ruskin University; Jill Manthorpe, Kings College; David Walden, SCIE
12.45: Lunch and SSRG AGM
2.00: Concurrent Group Sessions
- (a) Safeguarding and personal budgets. Sarah Carr, SCIE; Peter Beresford, Brunel University; Sue Fiennes, ADASS ‘Safeguarding Adults’ Network
- (b) Safeguarding Children – the role of research and evaluation in improving outcomes. Carolyn Davies, IoE; Mike Pinnock, Consultant
3.15: Plenary John Clarke, Open University
4.15 – 6.30pm: Social –with guest speakers, drinks, buffet and quiz.