Since its first issue in 1986 the Social Services Research Group’s Journal Research, Policy and Planning has been one of the key research journals in the personal social services. The Journal is devoted to publishing work by researchers and practitioners in local and central government, other statutory authorities and voluntary agencies.
Click here for Submission Guidance for Authors.
The full text of Research, Policy and Planning, from 1999 onwards, is currently available on this website. Free online access to RPP has been made available in partnership with the Social Care Institute for Excellence.
Articles are available as web pages (HTML) until Vol 19(2) 2000. Since that issue, articles have been made available in Portable Document Format (PDF) format.
Vol 29(2011/2012) | Vol 28 (2010) | Vol 27 (2009/2010) | Vol 26 (2008) | Vol 25 (2007) | Vol 24 (2006) | Vol 23 (2005) | Vol 22 (2004) | Vol 21 (2003) | Vol 20 (2002) | Vol 19 (2001) | Vol 18 (2000) | Vol 17 (1999)
Research, Policy and Planning Vol 29(3) 2012
- Full Publication (PDF File, 923kb)
- Some reflections on social care research: joys, tribulations and aspirations. Martin Knapp and Ann Richardson
- Historical amnesia: linking past, present and future in politics and policy. John Clarke
- How self directed support is failing to deliver personal budgets and personalisation. Colin Slasberg, Peter Beresford and Peter Schofield
- Citizenship, choice and care: an examination of the promotion of choice in the provision of adult social care. Guy Daly
Research, Policy and Planning Vol 29(2) 2012
- Full Publication (PDF File, 849kb)
- An evaluation of Wigan Council’s Partnership for Older People Project. Roger Beech, Brenda Roe, Bernard Beech, Wanda Russell, Michelle Harris and Deborah Gent
- Child protection, social work and the media: doing as well as being done to. Ray Jones
- Satisfaction with adult social care assessment: the development of a measure. Michele Abendstern, Caroline Sutcliffe, Jane Hughes, Paul Clarkson, Judith Unell and David Challis
- The state of adult social care research: findings from an online survey. Amritpal Rehill, Derek King and Martin Knapp
Research, Policy and Planning Vol 29(1) 2011/2012
- Full Publication (PDF File, 606kb)
- Developments in mental health service provision: views of service users and carers. Brenda Roe, Kevin Corbett, Mairi Byrne, Helena McCourt, Julie Chadwick and Annette Jinks
- Providing community equipment and adaptations in adult social care: lessons from an evaluation of the use of self-assessment in five English local authorities. Sue Tucker, Jane Hughes, Christian Brand, Paul Clarkson, Jennifer Wenborn, Ruth McDonogh, Michele Abendstern and David Challis
- Are personal budgets necessarily empowering for service users? If not, what’s it all about? Peter Beresford
- Toward a new eligibility framework that serves the interests of both service users and councils. Colin Slasberg